Plants and Substations
DIESEL PLANT AND SOCC
SOCC, our System Operations Control Center, located at the diesel plant, is where our 24-hour system dispatchers operate. We have five full-time system dispatchers. The system dispatchers operate the Natural Gas fired turbine generators when needed and monitor our electrical system. We have computers that monitor our generating plants and substations and allow remote control of substation and generating plant equipment and devices. They also take 24-hour trouble calls and dispatch light department after hours trouble crews and other departments after-hours personnel for Water and Sewer, Street, Parks and Solid Waste Departments in Logan City.
HYDRO 3 POWER PLANT
- Location: Approximately 2 miles up Logan Canyon (above 2nd Dam)
- Current Combined Capacity: 1,300 kW
- Turbines: 2 each Westinghouse 450 RPM, 875 kVA, 6600 volt synchronous speed
- Water Source: Logan Canyon Third Dam
- Pipeline: 1.4 miles of 78 inch reinforced concrete
- Surge Tank: 32 foot diameter, 25 foot high concrete
- Penstock: 375' 72" steel pipeline and bifurcation
This hydro plant was originally built in about 1903. It was the entire supply of electricity for Logan City's Electric Utility. It was the electricity from this plant that enabled Mayor Lorenzo Hansen to compete with the Hercules Power Company who served Logan residents with electricity before the plant was built.
The Hercules company had been charging a flat rate of $1.25 per month for the first light bulb and 50 cents per month for each additional 40 watt lamp. After the city authorized $65,000.00 in bonds, they charged 35 cents per 40 watt lamp or 3 lights for $1.00 a month and eventually won over the competition by providing better service at lower rates.
In 1929 and again during the mid 1950's, the plant was reconstructed and enlarged. During the 1950 reconstruction, they replaced the old wood stave pipeline with the existing concrete pipeline and penstock, and installed the existing turbines and generators. In 1990, the old oil-filled switchgear was replaced with modern vacuum breakers and a remote monitoring system using programmable logic controllers and desktop computers. This plant is now connected through a high-speed fiber optic network to the other hydro plant and the dams to our dispatch center (SOCC) for 24 hour remote monitoring and control. If water levels in the river are sufficient, this plant together with the Hydro 2 power plant can produce about 10% of Logan's electricity.
- Location: In the Mouth of Logan Canyon (At the East end of The Ray Hugie Park).
- Current Combined Capacity: 5,700 kW
- Turbines: 2 each 1985 Axel Johnson Horizontal Francis
- Generators: 2 each Brush Electric 3,000 kVA synchronous
- Water Source: Logan Canyon Second Dam
- Pipeline: 9,500 feet of 7 foot diameter reinforced concrete
- Surge Tank: 32 foot diameter, 52 foot high concrete
- Penstock: 530' of 72" steel pipeline and bifurcation
This plant was commissioned in 1985 under Mayor Newell Daines. In 1973, Utah Power and Light abandoned this site in favor of a coal fired plant in Wyoming. The building was used by the Parks Department as a warehouse until the late 1970's/early 1980's when we began the process to build the existing hydro-electric plant here.
After several years of negotiations with various Federal, State, and Local agencies we were able to come to agreements and obtain a license to build and operate a new hydro-electric plant there. As of 1998, the debt service for this plant has been paid for and it is producing clean, renewable electricity for Logan's residents.
This plant is also connected through a high speed fiber optic network to the other hydro-electric plant and to our 24-hour dispatch center. This upgraded system was installed during 1997-98. It consists of programmable logic controllers and desktop computers. This allows both of the hydro-electric plants to operate as one efficient and economical system.