If you are interested in seeing if you qualify for traffic school, please ask the Court Clerk about “Driver’s Awareness”.
During traffic arraignments, the Logan City Prosecutor is available in his office outside the Courtroom if you wish to talk with him.
Fix It Tickets
If you receive a fix it ticket, proof of fix it must be shown to the Court Clerk within 20 days of the date of the citation. To verify that your ticket is a fix it ticket, please check the Utah State Justice Court Bail Schedule.
The Court Clerk can dismiss a no proof of insurance and no insurance citation with proof of insurance coverage.
A written statement from an insurance agent or company verifying that the person had the required motor vehicle insurance coverage on the time and date of citation will allow the Court Clerk to dismiss a no proof of insurance charge. This statement should include:
- YEAR AND MAKE OF VEHICLE
- POLICY COVERAGE THAT COVERS DATE OF CITATION
- SIGNED AND DATED BY AGENT
See Utah Code Annotated Section 41-12a-303.2(2)(b) listing other alternatives to show proof of owner’s or operator’s security for dismissal of a no proof of insurance charge by the Court Clerk.
REMEMBER: The Defendant is responsible to verify with the Court Clerk that the proof of insurance has been received by the Court within 14 days of the issuance of the citation, the insurance proof is sufficient and that no proof of insurance charge has been dismissed. Failure to do so could result in the no proof of insurance charge remaining outstanding and a warrant being issued for the arrest of the Defendant.
I. WHAT IS THE DRIVER'S AWARENESS ABEYANCE PROGRAM?
Optional class taught by City of Logan Police Officers to make the public aware of the importance of obeying traffic laws and regulations, as well as discussion of specific traffic problems within Logan City. Fulfilling established abeyance agreement requirements will result in dismissal of eligible traffic violations. In conformance with Utah Law, a plea in abeyance is reported to the Utah Driver’s License Division. According to their policy, a plea in abeyance disposition is not reported to insurance Companies unless the violator holds a Commercial Driver’s License (CDL).
II. WHO IS ELIGIBLE TO PARTICIPATE IN THE DRIVER'S AWARENESS ABEYANCE PROGRAM?
1. Anyone who has not had more than one moving violation in the past two (2) years including any diverted from prosecution, held in abeyance or dismissed under an diversion or abeyance agreement;
2. Anyone who is appearing in the Logan City Municipal Justice Court for Improper Lookout, Negligent Collision, or a Class C Misdemeanor or Infraction*, moving traffic violation OCCURRING ON OR AFTER JULY 1, 2006, EXCEPT for the following listed offenses:
a) Speeding 20 mph or greater in excess of posted speed limit
b) Speeding in a School Zone
c) Speed exhibition or racing
d) Failure to stop for a School Bus
e) Any violation excluded for eligibility by Logan City Prosecutor
If ANY of the following conditions apply, the violation will not be eligible:
a) a late fee has been incurred
b) a Bench Warrant and/or Order to Show Cause has been issued
3. Anyone who has not previously had a moving violation dismissed by attending the City of Logan Driver's Awareness Abeyance in the past two years; AND
4. Anyone who completes the Driver’s Awareness Class prior to the matter being set for trial.
* MAXIMUM PENALTIES FOR Class B Misdemeanor -- $1,000.00 and 6 months; Class C Misdemeanor -- $ 750.00 and 90 days: Infraction -- $ 750.00 TOGETHER with a surcharge of 85% on non Title 4l Class B Misdemeanors and 35% on all other moving violations plus a $32 SECURITY SURCHARGE.
III. WHAT IS REQUIRED TO PARTICIPATE IN THE DRIVER'S AWARENESS ABEYANCE PROGRAM?
1. Meet all eligibility requirements as described in Section II.
2. Present a copy of your driver's license history showing no moving violations within the previous two (2) years from the date of current citation as described in Section II. Provided UCJIS computer system up and running, Court Clerks can obtain a Utah Driver’s history for your file but cannot provide you with a copy of same. If you have an out of state driver's license you will need to provide a certified copy of your record to the Court Clerk to see if you qualify for the class.
4. Pay an abeyance fee that is equal to the fine and surcharge of the offense charged per the Bail Schedule at the Logan City Municipal Justice Court Clerk’s window. ( Fees must be paid before signing the Abeyance Agreement and attending class. )
5. Sign the Driver’s Awareness Abeyance Agreement at the Logan City Municipal Justice Court Clerk’s window.
6. Attend the next Driver's Awareness class after initial appearance date & pass quiz with a 70% score or higher. This class is usually held on the third Saturday of each month at 9:00 am and on the first Thursday of each month at 7:00 pm and the last Wednesday of each month at 7:00 pm at the Logan City Rec Center classroom, 195 South l00 West, Logan, Utah. See the clerk for exact dates. You will need to pay for the Driver's Awareness class when you attend the class. You must provide a valid picture ID at time of class. If the assigned class is missed, you will not be eligible to attend another class, your registration fee will be forfeited, the abeyance fee will be treated as bail posted and will be voluntarily forfeited on the Wednesday at 3:30 PM following the assigned class, resulting in the charge being entered as a conviction.
REMEMBER: DRIVER’S AWARENESS IS NOT AN OPTION ONCE THE CITATION HAS BEEN PAID, BAIL FORFEITED, LATE NOTICE ISSUED, WARRANT ISSUED, DEFENDANT FOUND GUILTY AND/OR SENTENCED.