These sites explain where the planet's water can be found, the water cycle, the differences between surface and groundwater, how people use water, and how water can be conserved. Some of these websites will provide information to help with reports. Others are just plain fun!
- Earth's Water sponsored by the US Geological Survey includes facts, explanations, and data on surface water and groundwater, including the water cycle, water use, and locations with links. Part of Water Science for Schools
The Water Cycle
- Water Cycle K-3 Interactive An interactive cartoon explains the water cycle
- Water Cycle K-3 Activity Using a jar, an activity explains the water cycle
- Water Treatment Diagram explains the water treatment cycle, grades 4-6
- Water Use K-3 Activity Book Diagrams, facts and figures on water use and find-a-word (requires Adobe Acrobat Reader).
- Water Word Scrabble Grades 4-6
- Water Use Matching Game Grades 4-6
- Water Pollution Facts and Activities Problems, solutions, puzzles
Water Usage & Conservation
- How We Use Water in Utah Utah water storage, delivery, uses and treatment in detail, organized by irrigation, dams & reservoirs, municipal, and industrial prepared by the Utah Division of Water Resources.
- H2ouse An interactive house diagram with tips and advice listed by area of the home prepared by the California Urban Water Conservation Council (older students through adults).
- Water Conservation Tips Utah Division of Water Resources
- Water Conservation Tips Matching Game Fun learning game like Concentration prepared by the Utah Division of Water Resources that teaches water conservation techniques.
- Challenge Questions How much water to grow a hamburger, how many baths in a rainstorm, and other calculations by the US Geological Survey
- Estimate Water Used to Shower PBS Kids (Requires Adobe Acrobat Reader
- How to save water when traveling.
- Water Cycle Coloring Book Color with the computer mouse (younger students), prepared by the Utah Division of Water Resources
- Water Cycle Diagram Interactive, prepared by the Utah Division of Water Resources
- Find-a-Word Three levels, uses terms from the water cycle. Prepared by the Utah Division of Water Resources
- Water Cycle Description Diagram & explanation by Dragonfly, Miami University of Ohio
- Water Cycle, Quiz and Poem Wisconsin Dept. of Natural Resources
Where Water is Found on Earth
- Location of Water on the Planet by Percentage Graphic prepared by the Utah Division of Water Resources
- Ground Water = Underground Water Wisconsin Dept. of Natural Resources
- Water Table Wisconsin Dept. of Natural Resources
Water Science Education
- Properties of Water Discusses water’s molecular structure, polarity, capillary action, surface tension, and density. Prepared by the Utah Division of Water Resources.
- Simple Experiments with Water Prepared by the Utah Division of Water Resources
- Water Education Teacher Resources Lessons and links prepared by the Utah Division of Water Resources
- Water Education Van Program offerings and how to schedule an appointment for the van to visit schools, offered by the Living Planet Aquarium
- Water Trivia prepared by the US EPA