Logan firefighters in addition to fighting fires or performing medical care participate in Public Education. Firefighters spend a great deal of time educating citzens about the dangers of fire, smoke, carbon monoxide, and more.
Logan also takes part in the Cache Valley Fire Public Education Coalition, which includes many other fire departments in Cache Valley. We feel that the best and most cost efficient way to fight fire is to prevent it from starting in the first place. In pursuit of that goal, the coalition routinely places safety advertising in a variety of media sources.
Here are some of the other services that we are involved in:
CERT (Community Emergency Response Team)
If you are the type of person who wants to be part of the solution when disaster strikes then CERT is for you.
What is CERT you ask? Here is an explanation from the national CERT website.
"The Community Emergency Response Team Program educates people about disaster preparedness for hazards that may impact their area and trains them in basic disaster response skills, such as fire safety, light search and rescue, team organization, and disaster medical operations. Using the training learned in the classroom and during exercises, CERT members can assist others in their neighborhood or workplace following an event when professional responders are not immediately available to help. CERT members also are encouraged to support emergency response agencies by taking a more active role in emergency preparedness projects in their community."
The Logan Fire department is honored to participate with CERT groups (neighborhoods, church groups, etc.) by teaching some of the training classes and helping with disaster drills. These are very fun classes with neighbors coming together and preparing to handle disasters together.
Free Smoke/CO Detector program (For low income, disabled and senior citizens. Call (435) 716-9515 for information)
Smoke/CO Detector Program
The Logan Fire Department is concerned that every home have a Smoke Detector and Carbon Monoxide Detector. Detectors can be provided free to Logan City residents under qualifying categories: on the basis of low income (not able to afford one), elderly (generally 62 years of age or older), or disabled. We are not requiring proof of income or age, just that the individual requesting a smoke detector declare on an application form which of these three categories they are making the request under.
Please help us to help you. Give us a call (435) 716-9515. Firefighters can help you with where to place the smoke detectors in your home and if needed we will also install them.
Wood Burning Stove
- Has the flue pipe been cleaned recently? If 1/8" to 1/4" of creosote has built up anywhere in the total chimney system, the chimney should be cleaned.
- Is the wood being used DRY- wood that is not completely dried will cause more creosote to build up in your flue pipes causing more fires?
- Burn short hot fires rather than long smoldering ones.
- Don't leave stove burning unattended when children are present.
- Do not store dry wood near or under stove and be careful of burning embers when tending fires.
- Never use gasoline or flammable liquids to start a fire.
- Don't burn trash in the stove/fire place; this includes wrapping paper, Christmas trees.
- Empty ashes into a metal container with a tight-fitting lid. Keep container off combustible floors. DO NOT EMPTY INTO GARBAGE CAN UNTIL COMPLETELY COOLED.
Candles with Care
There were 9,930 reported candle fires in 1996 and 11,600 in 1997, the highest total in the 18 years for which statistics are available.
How do you use candles and be safe?
- Never leave a burning candle unattended, or while sleeping.
- Keep candles 3 feet from flammable and combustible material.
- Use candle holders that are sturdy, won't tip over easily, are made from materials that can't burn, and large enough to collect dripping wax.
- Light candles carefully. Keep your hair and loose clothing away from the flame.
- Keep candle wicks trimmed to one-quarter inch.
- Extinguish candles when they burn down to within 2 inches of their holder.
Kitchen Fire Safety
- Never leave the kitchen when cooking.
- Continuously check items baking in the oven.
- Don't cook if you are sleepy, if you have been drinking alcohol or if you've taken medication that makes you drowsy.
- Keep pot holders, food packaging, cookbooks & other combustibles off your stove top.
- Wipe up spills and clean your oven. Built up grease can catch fire.
- Turn pot handles in so you can't bump them, and so little children cannot grab them.
- Loose clothing can catch fire. Wear tight fitting clothes or roll up sleeves.
- Declare a three-foot "kid-free zone" around your stove while you are cooking.
- Microwave fires: Call 911 then keep the door closed and unplug the microwave. Have the oven serviced before your used it again.
- Prevent burns by opening microwaved food slowly. Let it cool before eating; never use a wet oven mitt. A hot pad could turn that dampness into scalding steam.
- Grease Fires: If a pan of food catches fire, don't throw water on the fire, and use a fire extinguisher only as a last resort. This can splatter burning grease and spread the fire. Instead, smother the fire by sliding a lid over the pan, turn the burner off, if this can be done safely. Prevent flare-ups by holding the lid firmly in place until the pan has cooled.
- Oven fires: Turn off the oven and keep the door closed. After extinguishing the fire, call 911 and have the fire department respond to confirm complete extinguishment.
Smoke alarms can make the difference between life and death in a fire.
- Smoke detectors should be installed in hallways by the sleeping areas.
- Smoke detectors should be installed in each sleeping room. Each floor of the home should have at one smoke detector installed.
- Check smoke detectors monthly to ensure they are working properly.
- Change the batteries on all smoke detectors every six months.
CARBON MONOXIDE, THE SILENT KILLER
Carbon monoxide is a gas that cannot be seen, tasted or smelled, and ,therefore, it is capable of killing you before you even know it is there. Household appliances fueled by gas, oil, kerosene or wood may also produce CO if the appliances are not installed, maintained or vented properly. These appliances include space heaters, gas dryers, and even barbecue grills.
Improperly operating appliances can produce fatal CO concentrations in your home. Likewise, using charcoal indoors or running a car in a garage can cause CO poisoning.
It is recommended you install at least one CO detector in your home near the sleeping area. A second detector installed near the home's heat source provides even more protection.
Symptoms of CO poisoning are similar to the flu, but without the fever. They include:
- Irregular breathing
Remember, if you have any of these symptoms and if you feel better when you go outside your home and the symptoms reappear once you are back inside, you may have CO poisoning.
Help keep your neighborhood safe during winter months by keeping the snow away from all fire hydrants.
Helping you live . . . safely! For more information contact (435) 716-9500
Fire Education Coalition
The Cache Valley Fire Education Coalition (the coalition) was created in 2005 by joining the public education efforts and dollars of several of Cache Valley's Fire Departments. These departments are currently Logan, North Logan, Smithfield, Paradise, Wellsville and the Fire Districts of Cache County and Franklin County
Firefighters feel that the best way to fight a fire is to prevent it in the first place. Separate fire departments have limited time and money for public education, but together the coalition is able to support community programs such as advertising fire and seasonal safety tips via media sources and combine ideas on how to prevent fires from starting.
Logan Fire Department can help communities through instruction on fire safety, fire prevention, fire extinguisher use and giving demonstrations. Call (435) 716-9515.